The Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board (“APPCB”) has issued a Circular on 9th May, 2017 modifying the conditions relating to approval for renewal of consents through auto renewal system.
APPCB had earlier introduced a scheme approving renewal of consents through auto renewal system known as the Green Channel. This auto renewal system / Green Channel is permitted subject to fulfilling the following conditions:
- Application for renewal to be done within stipulated time;
- The concerned industry has not been provided closure order by the APPCB /Government.
- There are no pending prohibitory directions from any Courts or other adjudicatory authority.
- There are no fresh pending cases against the concerned industry from last three months.
- There is no increase in the production in pollution load.
- There is no increase in capital investment except marginal increase (maximum 10%) due to investment on Pollution Control Systems, Cleaner Production Technologies, Good Manufacturing Practices, and Safety System.
However, the APPCB has observed that the condition pertaining to ceiling in the capital investment is causing difficulty for industries who intend to renew consent through Green Channel system since the industries usually invest substantial amount on different fronts on every year without increase production and pollution load. Therefore, a request was made to the APPCB for the deletion of this condition to bring in more industries under the Green Channel System.
Upon requests from various stakeholders for removing the conditions relating to restriction in capital investment, the Board has now decided to delete the condition pertaining to investment i.e. “there is no increase in capital investment except marginal increase (Maximum 10%) due to investment on Pollution Control Systems, Cleaner Production Technologies, Good Manufacturing Practices, and Safety System”.
Therefore, if any industry intends to renew consent through auto renewal system / Green Channel, it does not have to ensure that there is no increase in capital investment. However, it is directed that in case of increase in the capital investment, the industry must pay additional Consent for Establishment and Consent for Operate fee.
Source: Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board.