The Central Pollution Control Board (“CPCB”) has issued Draft Guidelines for Pre-processing and Co-processing of Hazardous and Other Wastes in Cement Plants(“proposed guidelines”), vide a notification dated 27.01.2017 under the Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016 (“Rules”). The proposed guidelines, are subjected for information and comments of concerned stakeholders within 10.02.2017 to the CPCB in hard copy as well as soft copy by email to firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org.
The proposed guidelines are in line with the recently notified hazardous waste rules 2016 wherein, prevention, reuse, recycling, recovery, utilization, including pre-processing & co-processing, was envisaged prior to considering the option of disposal through incineration or secured land filling, to ensure that millions of tonnes of hazardous, municipal and agro-waste is properly recycled and India’s pollution load can be reduced.
As per the proposed guidelines, such utilization would help in recovering energy and material value present in them thereby reducing the consumption of primary fossil fuels and raw materials.
The proposed guidelines also ensures that the waste is not only recycled but also, pollution in the environment is tackled.
Following are a few highlights of as laid down in the proposed guidelines:
1. Authorization for pre-processing and/or co-processing : Under the proposed guidelines, SPCBs may grant Authorisation to cement plants for co-processing of wastes listed in as per the Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016.
2. Trial Runs: Trial runs for co-processing of hazardous wastes would not be necessary as per the proposed guidelines, except for few specific wastes such as Persistent Organic Compounds (PoPs), PCBs, obsolete and date expired pesticides, Ozone Depleting Substances etc.
3. Standard Operating Procedures: The proposed guidelines specify the Guidelines to Handle Hazardous and Other wastes, Responsibilities of occupier for handling of hazardous & other wastes, Packaging of Hazardous & other wastes, Collection and transportation of Hazardous & other wastes, Storage of Hazardous & other wastes, Waste reception, Acceptance process for Hazardous & other wastes, Co-processing of wastes in Cement kiln etc.
4. Operating Conditions: The proposed guidelines specify Operating Conditions to be undertaken by the Cement plants.
5. Emission Standards:The proposed guidelines specify Emission Standards, to be followed by the cement kilns undertaking co-processing of the different wastes.
Source: Central Pollution Control Board