As reported by the Press Information Bureau on 29.03.2019 Geographical Indication (GI) granted to several varieties of coffee produced in India by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry–
- Coorg Arabica coffee which is grown in Kodagu district, Karnataka.
- Wayanaad Robusta coffee grown in the region of Wayanad district, Kerala.
- Chikmagalur Arabica coffee grown in the region of Chikmagalur district, in the Malnad region of Karnataka.
- Araku Valley Arabica coffee grown in Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh and parts of Odisha.
- Bababudangiris Arabica coffee is grown in the central portion of Chikmagalur district.
Monsooned Malabar Robusta Coffee has already been granted geographical indication back in 2008.
These varieties of coffee are exclusive to their particular regions and go through a special process of preparation and thus require protection and recognition.