The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) in a Notification dated 21st July, 2020 has amended the Export Policy of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
DGFT with a Notification on 31st January, 2020 had prohibited the Export of PPE including Clothing and Masks under Serial Number 207A. Further with Notifications on 19th March, 2020, 16th May, 2020 and 22nd June, 2020 the Export Policy of PPE kept changing.
Now, with the 21st July, 2020 Notification export of the following Personal Protective Equipment either as part of kits or as individual items have been prohibited –
i. Medical Coverall of all classes/categories (except surgical drapes, isolation aprons, surgical wraps and X-ray gowns)
ii. Medical Goggles
iii. All Masks other than non-surgical masks (cotton, silk, wool, polyester, nylon, rayon, viscose-knitted, woven or blended)
iv. Medical Nitrile/NBR Gloves
v. Face Shield
With this amendment export of surgical drapes, isolation aprons, surgical wraps and X-ray gowns under medical coverall of all classes/categories are no longer prohibited from export.
Additionally, DGFT with a Trade Notice dated 21st July, 2020 has now allowed exporters to send sample of PPE medical coveralls for COVID-19 on obtaining export license. The procedure for issuing export license for sending samples are as follows –
1. Export of up to 50 units of ‘PPE medical coveralls for COVID-19’ samples per IEC per country is allowed.
2. Exporters must apply through DGFT’s ECOM system for Export authorisation. No Hard copy applications need to be made.
3. The item description in the application must specify “PPE medical coveralls for COVID-19 Samples”
4. Validity of the Export License will be for 3 months.
5. A copy of IEC of the firm and documentary proof of manufacturing of textile/medical textiles products or medical devices by the firm may be submitted at the time of application. All the documents must be attested by duly authorised person of the firm,
6. Applications through email will not be considered.