The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (“FSSAI”) has, vide a notification dated 19th March, 2018, notified the Food Safety and Standards (Contaminants, toxins and Residues) first Amendment Regulations, 2018 (“Amendment Regulations”) to amend the Food Safety and Standards (Contaminants, toxins and Residues) Regulations, 2011 (“Principal Regulations”).
Key Highlights of the Amendment Regulations:
- Ethyl Parathion
- Methyl Parathion 50 per cent. EC and 2 per cent. DP formulations (Banned for use in fruits and vegetables)
- Fenthion (Banned in agriculture except for locust control, household and public health)
- Fenitrothion (Banned for use in agriculture except for locust control in scheduled dessert area and public health)
- D.D.T (Withdrawn for use in agriculture)
- Methomyl 12.5 per cent. L andMethomyl 24 per cent. formulation
- Carbofuran 50 per cent. SP
- Lindane Gamma-HCH) Gamma (γ) Isomer (Known as Lindane)
- The Amendment Regulations have also inserted a new clause (3), under sub-regulation 2.3.1., which states that the following insecticides shall be banned as per the Insecticides Act, 1968:
- The Amendment Regulations have amended clause (2) of the sub-regulation 2.3.1 of the Principal Regulations by omitting the provisions relating to certain insecticides and the prescribed limits, within which they can be used in certain foods.
- Aldrin, dieldrin
- Phosphamidon 85 per cent. SL
- Captafol 80 per cent. Powder
- Diazinon (Banned for use in agriculture except for household use)
- Monocrotophos (Banned for use on vegetable)
The Amendment Regulations also clarify that the extraneous Maximum Residue Level (MRL) of the banned insecticides shall be 0.01 mg/kg, except for DDT for which it shall be 0.05 mg/kg.
The draft of the Amendment Regulations was published, vide a notification of the FSSAI, in the Official Gazette, which was made available to the public on the 25th April, 2017, inviting objections or suggestions from stakeholders before the expiry of the period of thirty days from the date on which the copies of the Official Gazette were made available to the public i.e. before 25th May, 2017.
The objections and suggestions received from the public in respect of the draft of the Amendment Regulations were considered by the FSSAI and consequently, this notification was issued.
The Amendment Regulations came into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette i.e. 21st March, 2018.
Please refer to the hyperlinked source below for further details.