The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways through GSR No. 414 (E) dated 26th June 2020, has notified amendments to the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. Rule-93 relating to dimensions of motor vehicles have been amended under the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 to provide for standardization in the dimensions of the Motor Vehicles in line with international standards and towards improving the logistics efficiency in the country as enhanced dimensions would provide for extra passengers or extra carrying capacity within the prescribed weight limit.
• The Amendments provide dimension details with respect to two wheeled vehicles (L1 and L2). L2 dimensions are now as per EU norms;
• Three wheeler height has been increased from 2.2 to 2.5 mtrs;
• Pneumatic trailer through this notification has been made at par with Modular Hydraulic Trailer and it is expendable upto 50 mtr without increase in load to facilitate transport of goods of exceptional length;
• Road Trains with length at par with EU as 25.25 mtrs have been proposed to be included on select routes;
• The height of the N category vehicles (goods vehicles) has been amended to encourage containerized transport;
• The height of the M category vehicles has been amended from 3.8 meter to 4.0 meter except in the case of Airport passenger bus (retained at 3.8 meter), in line with international UNECE standards;
• The length of the M3 (buses) with two axles is amended from 12 meters to 13.5 meter;
• For N category of goods vehicles, height has been amended from 3.8 meter to 4.0 meter except in case of N1 category of vehicles (N1 are utility vehicles with GVW up to 3.5 tons) where the height has been restricted to 3.0 meter;
• The length of the Trailers (T category) is amended from 18.0 meters to 18.75 meter to accommodate ISO standards containers of 45 ft. The height of the trailer is amended from 3.8 meter to 4.0 meter with certain exceptions;
• Semi-trailers carrying ISO series/ freight containers or fabricated/refrigerated containers or with containerized body shall not exceed 4.52 meter;
• Truck-trailers/ Tractor-trailer engaged by Auto manufacturers to carry motor vehicles/ construction equipment Motor vehicle/ livestock / white goods with closed body or meant to carry indivisible loads, the overall height of the motor vehicle shall not exceed 4.75 meter;
• In case of invisible load following relaxations are made with respect to dimensions –
i. 200 mm projection on each lateral side permissible in case motor vehicle has the actual width as 2.6 meter subject to height up to 4.75 with certain conditions.
ii. In case of mechanical trailers carrying goods of exceptional length (for eg. wind mill blades), the trailers with extendable length are proposed to be included.