With a view to improve Ease of Doing Business in the State of Telangana and owing to the recommendation of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, regarding introduction of third-party inspection & certification of installed boilers for use, the Labour Employment Training & Factories (Lab-I) Department, Government of Telangana (“Department”), in a Notification dated 7th November, 2020 has introduced the Third-party inspection and certification for installed boilers or which will be installed in future for use in the Telangana State by granting exemption from the operation of sub-sections *(3),(4),(5) & (6) of Section 8 of the Boilers Act, 1923.
The present Notification has been issued superseding the Order No. G.O. M.S. 11 dated 7th March, 2019.
In this regard, the Department has authorised the Boiler Operation Engineer (BOE) under the Boiler Operation Engineers Rules, 2011 with the following qualifications:
1. Graduate in Mechanical / Production / Power Plant / Metallurgical engineering from a recognized institution.
2. Minimum 5 years of experience in the field related to boilers.
The Boiler Operation Engineer can inspect the boilers and issue a certificate for such period as prescribed by regulations subject to the procedure and conditions prescribed here under:-
1. Incase of Renewal of Boiler Certificate:
• When a certificate for use of the installed boiler ceases to be in force, the owner of boiler has to apply for the Renewal of Boiler Certificate at least (15) days before expiry of certificate through TS-iPASS (or) www.tsboilers.cgg.gov.in website by selecting the Boiler Operation Engineer (BOE) from the list available in the application.
• The management has to pay Rs.1000/- upto 200M2 Rating Boilers and above 200M2 Rating Boilers 25% of the Boiler Renewal fee as per Annexure-II for the processing of the Application of the Boilers Department.
• On receipt of an application, the Boiler Operation Engineer must inspect the said boiler within (15) days from the date of the receipt in such manner as prescribed by Indian Boiler Regulations, 1950(IBR).
• After the completion of boiler inspection, the Boiler Operation Engineer has to login to www.tsboilers.cgg.gov.in website with his user id and password and shall fill the online inspection report.
(a) If he satisfied that the boiler and the boiler components attached thereto are in good condition he will generate the online certificate for such period as prescribed by the Indian Boiler Regulations, 1950. After generation of the online certificate, the Boiler Operation Engineer must sign the certificate either physically or digitally and same should be uploaded in the website.
(b) If he has not satisfied that the condition of the boiler or boiler component, or both does not confirm to the standards prescribed by regulations, he should refuse to issue such certificate and shall issue a notice with the reasons recorded in writing as per Annexure I and the same shall be uploaded in the website that the boiler is not fit for use further, following which the owner of the Boiler shall immediately stop the operation of the Boiler.
After that the Boiler Operation Engineer must within 48 hours of making the inspection, inform the owner of the boiler in writing that the repairs to be carried out and the same shall be uploaded in the website.
2. Incase of repairs:
• In case of repairs, the owner of boiler has to follow section 4F of the Boilers Act, 1923 and Regulations 392 & 392A of the Indian Boiler Regulations, 1950 and Rules framed thereunder.
• After completion of the boiler repair, the boiler will be re-inspected by the Boiler Operation Engineer and the Boiler Operation Engineer shall follow the same procedure as prescribed above.
• In order to take the Aging effect on Boilers, Boiler Operation Engineer shall follow Regulation 391 A of Indian Boiler Regulations, 1950 while giving inspection report and while issuing certificate. If any change in working pressure of boiler is required as per Indian Boiler Regulations, 1950, then the Certificate of Boiler shall be submitted for counter signature to the Director of Boilers, Telangana State, Hyderabad.
3. Incase of any accident:
• If any accident occurs to Boiler or connected boiler component, the owner or person in charge of boiler shall report the same in writing to the concerned Boiler Inspector within 24 hours of the accident as per the provisions of the Boilers Act, 1923 and Rules & Regulations framed under the Act.
• It will be the responsibility of the Owner of the Boiler to run and maintain the Boiler as per provisions of the Boilers Act, 1923 and rules & regulations framed thereunder.
• Owner will also be responsible for any violation of the provisions of the said Act, rules and regulations framed thereunder and liable for punishment as per the provisions of the Boilers Act, 1923.
This Notification will be applicable to such boilers having the safe guard system for protection against over pressure, low water level, flame failure, etc., for prevention of accidents as per the provisions of the Boilers Act, 1923, Rules and Regulations framed thereunder.
2. This Third-Party Inspection & Certification of installed boilers is optional for owner of Boiler. Boiler owner can apply either to Boiler Operation Engineer as per this Notification or to the Telangana Government Boiler Inspector or to competent person as per Indian Boiler Regulations, 1950, for inspection and certification of installed boilers and connected boiler components during use.
*Section 8 of the Act deals with Renewal of certificate:
(3) When a certificate ceases to be in force, the owner of the boiler may apply to the Competent Person for renewal thereof for such period as may be prescribed by regulations.
(4) On receipt of an application under sub-section (3), the Competent Person shall, within fifteen days from the date of such receipt, inspect the boiler in such manner as may be prescribed by regulations
(5) If the Competent Person is—
(a) satisfied that the boiler and the boiler components attached thereto arc in good condition he shall issue a certificate for such period as may be prescribed by regulations.
(b) of the opinion that the boiler or boiler component, or both does not conform to the standards prescribed by regulations, it may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, refuse to issue such certificate:
Provided that no certificate shall be refused unless the Inspecting Authority had directed the owner of the boiler or the boiler component, or both in writing to carry out such modifications or rectifications as it deems necessary and the Competent Person is of the opinion that inspite of such direction the owner of the boiler or boiler component, or both did not carry out the direction:
Provided further that the Competent Person shall, within forty-eight hours of making the examination, inform the owner of the boiler or boiler component any defect in his opinion and the reasons therefore and shall forthwith report the case to the Chief Inspector.
(6) The Competent Person may for the purpose of inspection under this section charge such fee as may be prescribed by regulations:] Provided that where the Chief Inspector refuses to renew a certificate, he shall forthwith communicate his refusal to the owner of the boiler, together with the reason therefor.
Source: Labour Employment Training & Factories (Lab-I) Department, Government of Telangana