Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) has issued a Press Release dated 4th June, 2019 to clarify certain queries of trade and industry with respect to filing of GST Annual Return in Form GSTR-9.
The Key Points of the Press Release are:
- It is clarified that information contained in FORM GSTR-2A as on 1st May, 2019 shall be auto-populated in Table 8A of Form GSTR-9.
- It is also clarified, that Input tax credit (ITC) on inward supplies received during Financial Year 2017-18 but availed during April 2018 to March 2019 shall be declared in Table 8C of Form GSTR-9.
- It is also clarified, that particulars of the transactions of Financial Year 2017-18 which were declared in returns between April 2018 to March 2019 shall be shown in Pt. V of Form GSTR-9 and such particulars may contain details of amendments furnished in Table 10 and Table 11 of Form GSTR-1.
- It is also clarified, that irrespective of when the supply was declared in Form GSTR-1, the principle of declaring a supply in Pt. II or Pt. V of Form GSTR-9 is driven by when was tax paid through Form GSTR-3B in respect of such supplies. If the tax on such supply was paid through Form GSTR-3B between July 2017 to March 2018 then such supply shall be declared in Pt. II of Form GSTR-9 and if the tax was paid through Form GSTR-3B between April 2018 to March 2019 then such supply shall be declared in Pt. V of Form GSTR-9.
- It is further clarified, that any additional outward supply which was not declared by taxpayers in FORM GSTR-1 and FORM GSTR-3B shall now be declared in Pt. II of Form GSTR-9 and additional liability shall be computed in Pt. IV of Form GSTR-9 and the gap between the “tax payable” and “Paid through cash” column of FORM GSTR-9 shall be paid through Form DRC-03.
- It is further clarified, that for the taxpayers who have reported a mismatch between auto-populated data and the actual entry in their books of accounts or returns it must be noted that auto-population is a functionality provided to taxpayers for facilitation purposes, taxpayers can report the data as per their books of account or returns filed during the financial year.
- It is further clarified, to the taxpayers that the Table 8 of Form GSTR-9 does not contain any row to fill in credit of IGST paid at the time of import of goods but availed in the return of April 2018 to March 2019, hence it has been advised to the taxpayers to fill in their entire credit availed on import of goods from July 2017 to March 2019 in Table 6(E) of Form GSTR-9.
- Taxpayers are required to note that the payments made through Form DRC-03 for any supplies relating to period between July 2017 to March 2018 will not be accounted for in Form GSTR-9 but shall be reported during reconciliation in Form GSTR-9C.