The Department of Health and Family Welfare, West Bengal has, in a notification dated 10th August, 2020, issued Guidelines for implementation of the new software COVID-19 BWM for effective disposal of bio-medical waste generated during treatment/diagnosis/quarantine of COVID-19 patients.
1. The COVID-19 BMW software application is used for tracking of generation, collections and disposal of COVID-19 bio-medical waste, generated at health care facilities, quarantine centres, isolation wards, testing labs, COVID-19 sample collection centres.
2. The software is operable on smart phones with Android operating system [minimum Android version should be 4.3 and above to avail all features in the application]. This application can be downloaded from the Google play store.
3. All waster generator entities will be required to register through the mobile app registration process for which the ICON is available on the home page of the mobile application
While registering they are required to ensure that the correct state and district are selected. Basis such selection, the available Common Biomedical Waste treatment facility will appear in the drop down.
4. Waste generators have to sign in using the user id and password generated through registration process shared at the email id entered in the registration form by the Mobile Application automatically.
5. COVID-19 bio-medical wastes have to be handed over to the approved agencies through this mobile app.
6. All concerned entities are required to strictly comply with the above effective 1st July, 2020.
Source: Department of Health and Family Welfare, West Bengal