The Department of Agriculture, Co-operation and Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (‘Ministry”), has notified partial modifications to the Draft Banning of Insecticides Order, 2020 (“Draft Principal Order”).
In an earlier Notification dated 18th May, 2020, in the Official Gazette of India, the Ministry had issued the Draft Principal Order aiming to impose the following on 27 insecticides:
1. No person shall import, manufacture, sale, transport, distribute and use the insecticides specified in the Draft Principal Order;
2. The Registration Committee to call back the certificate of registration granted for the insecticides as specified in the Draft Principal Order;
3. If any person who holds the certificate of registration fails to return the certificate to the Registration Committee, within a period of 3 months, appropriate action shall be taken; and
4. The certificate of registration for the said insecticides shall be deemed to be cancelled from the date of publication of the Draft Principal Order.
Objections/ suggestions to the Draft Principal Order was invited up till 2nd July, 2020.
Through the present Notification dated 13th June, 2020, the Ministry has proposed two modifications to the Draft Principal Order:
1. Objections/ suggestions may now be sent up to 26th August, 2020.
2. Any registrant who requires to manufacture insecticides (proposed to be banned under the Draft Principal Order), for export purpose only, needs to obtain certificate of registration under Rule 6 of Insecticides Rules, 1971 and adhere to such conditions as may be prescribed by the Central Government from time to time.
Objections / suggestions may be forwarded to the Joint Secretary (Plant Protection), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi-110 001.