The State Pollution Control Board of Odisha, through a notice dated 30th August, 2019, reiterates the responsibility of a bulk consumer of electronic equipment where they must ensure that e-waste generated by them is channelized through Dealer of authorized producer / dismantler / recycler / service provider.
The following reiterations of E-Waste Management Rules, 2016 (“Rules”) have been made in the notice:
- As per the provisions of the Rules, the producers of electrical and electronic equipment will collect the ‘end-of-life’ electronic equipment and channelize them to authorized dismantlers / recyclers under Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR).
- The producers will collect E-Waste by implementing take back system, E-Waste exchange or through Producer Responsibility Organization (PRO) engaged by them. The producers are to implement Deposit Refund Scheme (DRS) for effective collection of E-Waste through their dealers.
- The bulk consumers of electronic equipment such as Private Companies that are registered under the Factories Act, 1948 and the Companies Act, 2013 and health care facilities which have turnover of more than ₹1 Crore or have more than 20 employees must ensure the following:
- E-Waste generated by them is channelized through Dealer of authorized Producer or Dismantler or Recycler or through the designated take back Service Provider and,
- Maintain records of E-Waste generation and,
- Submit Annual Return in Form lIl to the State Pollution Control Board on or before 30th June of financial year.