The Labour and Employment Department, Tamil Nadu (“Department”) has in a notification dated 19th April, 2018, revised the minimum rate of wages payable to Apprentices employed in Textile Mills @ Rs. 261.00 per day effective 16th May, 2018.
The Department has clarified that Textile Mills include:
- Composite Mills;
- Spinning Mills;
- Weaving Mills;
- Open Ended Mills; and
- the various processes like Blow Room Carding, Drawing, Fly Frames, Spinning, winding, Doubling, Reeling, Packing, Warping-Sizing and other processes carried on in the mills, whether carried out singly or together.
It has informed that, in addition to the revised minimum rate of basic wages payable, the Apprentices shall also be paid Dearness Allowance (“DA”) fixed as follows:
- The Dearness Allowance is linked to the average of Chennai city Consumer Price lndex for the year 2010, i.e. 161 points (with base 2001=100) and for every rise of one point over and above 161 points, an increase of Rs.01.60 shall be paid as Dearness Allowance per day.
- The Dearness Allowance shall be calculated every year on the first April on the basis of the average of the indices of the preceding twelve months, that is from January to December.
- The first calculation shall be effective from the date of publication of this notification in the Gazette i.e. 16th May, 2018, based on the Average Consumer Price lndex number for the previous year.
The Department also directed that:
- where the nature of work is the same, no distinction in the payment of wages shall be made as between men and women apprentices.
- to arrive at monthly wages, the daily wages shall be multiplied by 30
- wherever the existing wages are higher than the minimum wages fixed, the existing wages shall be continued to be paid.
Please refer to the hyperlinked source (Pages No. 436-437) for further details.