The State Pollution Control Board of Odisha, through a Public Notice dated 31st August, 2019, directs occupiers of Health Care Facilities (“HCFs”) and Common Biomedical Waste Treatment and Disposal Facilities (“CBVWTDFs”) to establish Bar- Code system and Global Positioning System within the dates given below.
- All HCFs utilizing the services Common Facilities* for collection, transportation, treatment and disposal of biomedical wastes are directed to ensure establishment of Bar-Code System by end of September, 2019.
- Similarly, the Operators of the Common Treatment and Disposal Facility are directed to implement the bar code and global positioning system by end of September, 2019.
The Rule 4 (i) of Bio-medical Waste Management Rules, 2016 stipulates that Bar-Code System for bags or containers to be sent out of premises of HCFs for any purpose will be established. Similarly, Rule 5(c) refers to implementation of Bar-Code and Global Positioning System in Common Facility in accordance with the guidelines issued by Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi within the stipulated time.
The major objectives of establishment of the system in both HCFs and CBMWTDFs are as follows;
(i) to track BMW from the source of generation to the destination for final treatment & disposal,
(ii) to prevent pilferage of waste during transportation,
(iii) to make real time online monitoring of waste generation, collection, treatment & disposal etc.
- M/s. Sani Clean Pvt. Limited, Tangiapada, Khorda,
- SCB Medical College & Hospital, Cuttack,
- Rourkela Government Hospital,
- VIMSAR, Burla